A Supper Club of four couples who get together once a month for a collaborative dinner.

Sunday, January 24, 2010

First Dinner Party (reposted)

What Fun!  "I haven't laughed that hard in a very long time".

The comment Jan made after spilling wine on her crotch , Tim and Barbara's  imitating the French and Julia Childs, Bob trying to keep Rowan from doing a header on the table. Discussion of fights in marriage, politics, world problems, funny TV shows, and the male one track mind: "touch it".

Four couples decided to get together and have a joint contribution dinner. Bob's son, Ian, and grandson, Rowan were also there. Vera and Bob hosted the first dinner. Barbara and Tim, Jan and Ron, Rita and Fred arrived bringing food and drink.

Bob made Rock Cornish hens stuffed with wild rice and a peas/tomato/garlic dip, Jan brought salad and biscuits, Barbara came with broccoli, squash and apple soup, Ian did pumpkin sage soup and Rita did the dessert.


I'll start withe the dessert! Puff  pastry filled with almond cream and two homemade ice creams: anise and dark chocolate. Since Rita made it at home, I had already had a preview of how it tasted.  Watching her serve everyone else first,  I felt like my dog waiting be fed hours after her normal feeding time. I felt like my tail was wagging, my butt jiggling, my tongue was hanging out of my mouth, and  I was drooling.  It was wonderful! We won't tell who licked their plates.



The Rock Cornish hens were cooked perfectly which was a surprise considering the amount of smoke that billowed out of the oven, filling the kitchen, dinner room and setting off the upstairs smoke detector.  Each mouthful of Barbara's soup gave a collage of tastes: apple, curry, and squash.  I didn't try Ian's soup, but wish I had taken a picture of it.  I didn't try the dip for it reeked of garlic as did my wife when I kissed her goodnight.  I like garlic in moderation, but not as a primary dish seasoned with peas and tomato.  (Sorry, Bob, but this proves you can't please everyone, all the time, but if you fool me again... or fool me twice. I'm a fool... or something like what George Bush said.).  The salad and broccoli tasted good and healthy. Loved the  hint of cheese in the broccoli and the nuts in the salad.

I left feeling like my diet was blown for that day!

If this is any indication of what is to come,  I can't wait until the next time.

This blog was created with the intention of each member of the Supper Club to be able to contribute to it,  and share recipes and memories.  It is open to the world of Internet surfers.

We will continue, assuming no fowl weather prevails.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Contributors